Dog stung by a bee or dog stung by a wasp! 4 questions most commonly asked by pet owners!

Dog stung by a bee or dog stung by a wasp! 4 questions most commonly asked by pet owners!


Buzz, buzz! Is that the sound of your curious canine exploring the great outdoors? While our furry friends love to frolic in nature, sometimes they encounter some not-so-friendly critters along the way. Bees and wasps may seem small and harmless, but their stings can pack quite a punch – especially when it comes to our beloved dogs. In this blog post, we'll look at everyting you need to consider if you see your dog stung by a bee or if you see your dog stung by a wasp: how they can affect our four-legged companions, what signs to look out for, and what steps you can take to ease their discomfort. So grab a cup of tea (or perhaps a bone-shaped treat) as we uncover all there is to know about dogs being stung by bees or wasps!

Can a bee or wasp sting harm a dog?

Can a bee or wasp sting harm a dog? Absolutely. Just like humans, dogs can have allergic reactions to insect stings. The severity of the reaction depends on several factors, including the size of the dog and their individual sensitivity.

When a bee or wasp stings a dog, it injects venom into their skin. This can cause pain, swelling, and inflammation at the site of the sting. In most cases, these symptoms are mild and subside within a few hours.

However, some dogs may experience more severe reactions. They might develop hives all over their body or experience difficulty breathing due to anaphylaxis—a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.

It's important to note that not every dog will have an extreme reaction to bee or wasp stings. Some may show no signs of discomfort at all. But as responsible pet owners, we should always be vigilant when our furry friends come into contact with these insects.

Prevention is key in protecting our dogs from getting stung by bees or wasps. Keeping them away from areas where these insects commonly nest and avoiding floral gardens during peak pollination times can reduce their risk.

Remember: if your dog does get stung by a bee or wasp and shows any concerning symptoms such as excessive swelling, difficulty breathing, vomiting, or weakness—seek veterinary care immediately for appropriate treatment tailored to your pup's needs!

How long after a wasp sting or bee sting does a dog react?

How long after a wasp sting or bee sting does a dog react? It's a common question among dog owners who are concerned about their dog's well-being. The truth is, the reaction time can vary from one dog to another.

In most cases, dogs will show signs of discomfort and pain within minutes of being stung. They may start whining, pawing at the affected area, or even try to lick it excessively. Swelling and redness around the sting site are also common symptoms.

However, it's important to note that some dogs may have delayed reactions. This means that they might not show any signs until several hours after being stung. So if you notice your pup acting strangely even hours later, don't rule out the possibility of a bee or wasp sting.

If you suspect your dog has been stung by a bee or wasp, it's essential to monitor them closely for any signs of an allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing, vomiting, or collapse. In these cases, immediate veterinary attention is necessary.

Is a bee or wasp sting on a dog an emergency?

Many pet owners have wondered about this, and it's important to understand the potential risks involved. While most bee and wasp stings will not require immediate medical attention, there are cases where they can be more serious.

The severity of the reaction depends on several factors such as the size of the dog, number of stings, location of the sting, and individual sensitivity. In general, if your dog is stung by a single bee or wasp and displays only mild symptoms like localized swelling or discomfort, it may not be considered an emergency.

However, if your furry friend experiences multiple stings or shows signs of an allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing, rapid swelling around the face or throat, vomiting, weakness or collapse - this should be treated as a medical emergency. Allergic reactions can escalate quickly in dogs just like in humans.

It's crucial to monitor your pet closely after any sting incident. Keep an eye out for unusual behavior such as excessive scratching/licking at the affected area or signs of distress. If you notice any abnormal symptoms that concern you even slightly - consult with your veterinarian immediately.

While a bee or wasp sting on a dog may not always be considered an emergency initially; it's essential to assess each situation individually based on factors like severity of symptoms and possible allergic reactions. Always prioritize your pet's safety by monitoring their condition closely after any encounter with these buzzing creatures!

What to do if your dog gets stung by a wasp or bee?

If your dog gets stung by a wasp or bee, it's important to act swiftly and calmly. Here are some steps you can take to help alleviate their discomfort and ensure their well-being.

1. Assess the situation: First, determine if your dog is experiencing an allergic reaction. Look out for signs such as difficulty breathing, swelling around the face or throat, vomiting, or collapse. If these symptoms occur, seek immediate veterinary attention.

2. Remove the stinger: If the sting is visible on your dog's skin and there is no allergic reaction, carefully remove the stinger without squeezing it. Use tweezers to avoid injecting more venom into your pet.

3. Cleanse the area: Gently clean the affected area with mild soap and water to prevent infection and soothe any pain.

4. Apply cold compresses: To reduce swelling and ease discomfort, apply a cold compress wrapped in a cloth for about 10 minutes at a time.

5. Provide pain relief: Consult with your vet about administering over-the-counter antihistamines to relieve itching and inflammation; however, never give medication without professional guidance.

6. Monitor for further reactions: Keep an eye on your dog for any worsening symptoms or new signs of distress that may indicate an allergy developing over time.

By following these simple steps after a bee or wasp sting incident involving your beloved canine companion, you can provide them with comfort while minimizing any potential complications from these encounters with nature's buzzing creatures!


It is important for dog owners to be aware of the potential risks and reactions that can occur if their furry friends get stung by a bee or wasp. While most dogs will experience mild symptoms such as localized swelling and discomfort, some may have more severe allergic reactions that require immediate medical attention.

If you suspect that your dog has been stung by a bee or wasp, it is important to monitor them closely for any signs of distress or worsening symptoms. Keep an eye out for difficulty breathing, excessive drooling, vomiting, weakness, or collapse - these could indicate a severe allergic reaction.

Remember to remain calm and avoid panicking. Quickly remove the stinger if visible and apply a cold compress to help reduce swelling. 

By being prepared and knowing what steps to take in case of an emergency situation involving a bee or wasp sting on your dog, you can ensure their safety and well-being. Always consult with your veterinarian for further guidance on preventing future incidents and managing allergies in your furry companion.

Stay informed, stay alert – together we can keep our canine companions safe from the buzzing world around us!

Dr. Alan MRCVS

Back to blog

Featured collection